Gerhard Hoehme was born in Greppin near Bitterfeld in 1920 and studied at the College of Art (Kunsthochschule) at Burg Giebichenstein in Halle from 1948 to 1949. This is also where he met Margarete Schulze, who was to become his wife. After his move to West Germany he continued his studies from 1952 to 1953, at the Academy of Art (Kunstakademie) in Düsseldorf, where he became a spokesman of the avant-garde movement “Gruppe 53” (Group 53).
In 1956 the Kaiser Wilhelm Museum in Krefeld set up the first major solo exhibition of his paintings. This was followed by numerous awards and prizes. After a scholarship from the German Academy (Deutsche Akademie) at Villa Massimo in Rome, Gerhard Hoehme received a professorship in Liberal Painting at the Düsseldorf Academy of Art in 1960. In 1964 he took up a second residence in Nemi near Rome. His teaching activities at the Academy of Art in Düsseldorf finished in 1984, and Hoehme was elected a member of the Academy of Fine Arts (Akademie der Künste) in West Berlin. In the same year he received the Paul Klee professorship for Fine Arts at the University of Giessen. Gerhard Hoehme died in his house in Neuss- Selikum near Düsseldorf on June 29, 1989, following a period of severe illness.